St Vincent: PM Gonsalves cancels Independence day military parade

St Vincent: PM Gonsalves cancels Independence day military parade
St Vincent: PM Gonsalves cancels Independence day military parade

Prime Minister of St Vincent and Grenadines Ralph Gonsalves, during the parliamentary session, declares that this year there will be no military parade on October 27. This parade was decided to take out to mark the 42nd anniversary of St Vincent and the Grenadines’ political independence. This announcement was made on Wednesday.

While talking with lawmakers, PM Gonsalves said, “Cabinet has taken the decision not to have the parade for Independence at Victoria Park or anywhere else face-to-face because of the situation with COVID. Last year, of course, at this time, though COVID was in the air, the numbers, in terms of infections and deaths, were very small, and, of course, we did not have the Delta variant. Accordingly, I will broadcast an address to the nation in the usual way, but I will do so virtually. I will do so on television and on the radio.”

While further telling about the Independence day celebration PM Gonsalves said that all the business groups, states entities, as well as public officers and servants, should get out quite quickly of these buntings and another similar type of material that would be visually marked in their celebration of independence.

The government during the last week calls off the rehearsals for the events on the Independence day celebration.

St Vincent is currently battling an upsurge in COVID-19 cases, which has claimed 26 lives since September 9 — taking the total to 38. According to the COVID-19 updation in the country, the data states that there has been a total of 1,286 active COVID-19 infected cases, and till now, there have been 800 samples are pending to get tested.

Since March 2020, SVG has recorded 4,096 cases of COVID-19, and 2,693 recoveries have been recorded in SVG.