St Kitts and Nevis: St Kitts- Nevis Labour Party condemned the mismanagement of the health sector prevailed in the Federation and stated the recent happenings within the health sector have been quite alarming.
The gross neglect and mismanagement of the JNF General Hospital have been hot topic issues over the past five (5) years, it added.
While highlighting the video circulating on social media, St Kitts and Nevis Labour Party said that most recently, there have been videos circulating on social media captured by citizens highlighting the incompetence and negligence within the health care sector.
It added that the two families have spoken out, claiming that the hospital was lacking a vital medical resource, oxygen, which is critical not only during a respiratory-based illness pandemic, COVID-19, but also during the dry season when asthma is known to be triggered.
St Kitts and Nevis Labour Party further quoted a press release that appears to be issued by the Ministry of Health (there is no letterhead) followed, which dismissed the claims of the families of the deceased in a rather insensitive and nonchalant manner.
St Kitts and Nevis Labour Part further outlined certain aspects of the situation of the health sector in the Federation. It said:
- The incidents of the past week have shown the tremendous cracks in the healthcare system as well as the absence of empathy from the Minister of Health and the senior personnel within the Ministry of Health.
- The Ministry’s response, particularly the apparent press statement, demonstrated the Team Unity government’s insensitive and callous nature when dealing with matters affecting the people.
- The press release was not only late, but the tone was rude, uncaring, and disrespectful, and far more concerned with defending the Ministry’s image than with the reality that innocent civilians’ lives had been sacrificed due to alleged medical negligence and/or malpractice.
- Emphasis should have been placed on genuinely improving the system, investigating the incident, and the mental well-being of the relatives impacted.
- It is evident that the Minister of Health is truly incapable of handling the task of keeping our nation’s citizens safe and healthy. Is this the better, safer future that has been promised?
The St. Kitts-Nevis Labour Party extends heartfelt condolences to the families of the deceased in great hope that they receive the necessary comfort and counselling needed to get through this devastating time. Dr Terrance Drew, the Political Leader of the SKNLP, continues to advocate strongly on behalf of the citizens of our Federation for improved healthcare and better, more modernized health facilities that meet the highest standards of quality and care.