St Kitts and Nevis: National Bank Charles E. Mills Secondary School Eagles become the TDC InterHigh Meet champions of St Kitts and Nevis. The school secured 66 medals in total, including 35 golds, 19 silvers and 12 bronzes.
The championship was held from March 24 to March 26, 2023, at the Kim Collins Stadium. The second position was secured by Charlestown Secondary School. The school won 58 medals, including 27 gold medals, 16 silvers and 15 bronzes.
The three-day Championships began on Friday, March 28, 2014, and concluded on Sunday, March 30, at the Silver Jubilee Stadium, St Kitts. The CEMSS defended their name, ‘Eagles’, as they handsomely flew away with the championship title once again. The school received a whopping 26-gold medals causing the defending championships, Washington Archibald to be thrown into second place with 14 gold medals.
At the end of the three-day event, these are the results:
Individual Category Champions are as follows:
- U-14 -Male Champion – Geval Wallace (CSS)
- U-14 Female Champion – Olujede Bridgewater (BHS)
- U-16 -Male Champion – Cejae Farrell (CSS)
- U-16 Female Champion – Namibia Clavier (WAHS)
- U-18-Male Champion – Darille Warner (VHS)
- U-18 Female Champion – Kristal Liburd (CEMSS)
- U-20 -Male Champion – Nathaniel Huggins (CEMSS)
- U-20 Femal Champion – Denecia Maynard (WAHS)
All who continue to nurture these young athletes and expose them to life changing opportunities in track and field ought to feel an excitement at the power of potential in our young athletes.
The grueling athletic exercise on display at the Kim Collins stadium for the annual TDC sponsored Inter-school Track and Field Championships this past weekend will serve our youth and nation well.
The athletes broke records, set new records, taunted their opponents, celebrated their wins and even cried when they had nothing left. The weekend was a blend of emotional highs and gut-wrenching lows, a weekend of athletic excellence; a glimpse of the race these athletes will run in life.
Charlestown Secondary School athletes also proved they had grit and determination, placing an impressive second and giving huge commendations to the Basseterre High School Stormers for pouring their all into the competition. The athletes from all the schools across the federation of St Kitts and Nevis who helped make the TDC sponsored Inter-school Championships competitive are all winners.
Premier of Nevis also extended greetings to Charlestown Secondary School for securing 2nd place in the TDC Interhigh Meet. He said that the Charlestown Secondary School placed 2nd in the TDC InterHigh Meet at the Kim Collins stadium amassing 58 medals including 27 gold medals. The smaller Gingerland Secondary School placed 6th amassing 18 medals including 4 gold medals.
In fact of the 103 gold medals awarded at this championship, the 2 Nevis schools captured 31 or 30.1% of the gold medals on offer while the 7 St Kitts schools captured the remaining 69.9% of the gold medal tally.
“Why is this important? It is important because it was just in 2016 that the Nevis Island Administration unveiled plans for the construction of the Mondo track facility at Long Point. The intention was to afford our athletes the opportunity to train and run on a professional surface like their peers in St Kitts and around the region,” said the premier.
The Charlestown Primary School has taken their domination of primary school athletics in Nevis to St Kitts and won the first ever Rams National Primary Schools Relay Championships. CSS won the first-ever GinsengUp High Schools National Championships.
In fact, at the same Inter High Championships in 2018, the CSS only managed 15 gold medals, and GSS only managed 1. 5 years later, CSS has moved from 15 to 27 gold medals, and GSS has moved from 1 to 4 gold medals.
Deputy Prime Minister of St Kitts and Nevis- Geoffrey Hanely, added, “I was honoured and excited to participate in the TDC Inter High School Championships at the Kim Collins Athletic Stadium distributing medals to the winning athletes. Our young people are exceptional athletes. Congratulations to our athletes, especially those who won for their respective schools. Our future looks bright.”