Prime Minister of Saint Lucia Philip J Pierre extended greetings and congratulations to Prime Minister Roosevelt Skerrit-led Dominica Labour Party for their landslide victory in the snap general elections held on December 6, 2022.
PM Pierre took to social media and greeted PM Skerrit with warm wishes. He cited, “Victory for Labour in Dominica, Congratulations Comrade Roosevelt Skerrit and Team Dominica Labour Party.”
He also shared the photo with Prime Minister Roosevelt Skerrit and extended blessings for the next five years.
Dominica Labour Party won the snap general elections after securing 19 out of 21 seats of the national assembly. The two constituencies, namely Marigot and Salisbury, were bagged by the two independent candidates.
Prime Minister Dr Roosevelt Skerrit secured the victory for the fifth consecutive term, while Dominica Labour Party won the elections for the six time in a row.
On election day, the polling started at 7 pm and finished at 5 pm. After the declaration of the result, the 19 constituencies witnessed the clear victory of the Dominica Labour Party. The snap general elections witnessed the nomination of 45 candidates, and the number is the largest in the decade.
The 45 candidates consisted of the Dominica Labour Party, Team Unity Dominica and independent electorates. The six constituencies were declared for the DLP on the nomination day as they have not faced any electorate on the election day.
- Grand Bay Constituency was won by DLP candidates Vince Henderson with 1139 votes.
- Melissa Poponne Skerrit secured the Roseau Central seat under the banner of the Dominica Labour Party with 1023 votes.
- Octavia Alfred of DLP won the Castle Bruce constituency with 782 votes.
- DLP candidate Dr Cassandra Williams secured the La Plaine constituencies with 690 votes.
- Cassania C Laville won the Mahaut constituency with 2016 votes from Dominica Labour Party.
- Grand Fond constituency was secured by DLP candidate Gretta Bernadette Roberts with 571 votes.
- DLP candidate Fenella Wenham claimed a victory with 916 votes from Portsmouth.
- Alethea Blanchard of DLP won Roseau North with 1486 votes.
- Roseau South was bagged by DLP candidate Chekira Nikisha Sara Lockhart with 1739 votes.
- DLP candidate Cozier Pius Frederick secured the Salybia Constituency with 334 votes.
- Darren Tevin Lloyd secured the St Joseph constituency with 91 votes.
- The Soufriere constituency was secured by Dominica Labour Party candidate Denise Charles with 1236 votes.
- Wesley Constituency was secured by Fidel Grant of DLP with 717 votes.
- Independent Candidate Anthony S. Charles won the Marigot constituency with 491 votes
- Independent Candidate Jesma Paul won with 617 from the Salisbury constituency.
- Colihaut constituency-Darren Pinard
- Cottage constituency- Roland Royer
- Paix Bouche constituency- Lakeyia Lennicia Jamelle
- Petite Savanne constituency- Julian B.G Defoe
- Roseau Valley- Irving Francis McIntyre
- Vieille Case constituency– Roosevelt Skerrit
Saint Lucia and Dominica shared a friendly relationship with each other as both countries assisted each other in their tough times.
Anglina Byron, developed a deep-seated passion for journalism. Anglina is recognized for her tenacity, strength, and unwavering commitment to delivering honest and reliable news across the Caribbean. She covers general affairs of the region.