Castries, Saint Lucia: Saint Lucia representative at the Inaugural Caribbean Games held in Guadeloupe (2022) Klivert Mitchel, has won the Saint Lucia Cycling Association 51 Kilometer Road Race during the week end of April 30th, 2023.
Klivert 23, riding in the senior category, completed the six (6) laps from the Castries Waterfront roundabout to Mega J roundabout in 1 hr 25 mins 57.13 secs to take home the top prize.
Second place went to Kirby Anthony in a time of 1 hr 25 mins 57.46 secs, and season campaigner Fidel Esnard placed third in a time of 1 hr 26 mins 02.56 secs. In the 50+ category, former national cyclist John Mangal placed fourth in a time of 1 hr 37 mins 86.31 secs, followed by another 50+ rider, Kenneth Mathurin, placing fifth in a time of 1 hr 42 mins 35.98 secs.
On the brighter side of things, the lone female competitor in the race, 14-year-old student-athlete of the Beanfield Secondary School, Serphrina Williams cross the finish line in a time of 1 hr 47 mins 37.38 secs.
Raheem Sylvester riding in the junior category, came in 7th in 1 hr 47 mins 38.36 secs and Omari Victor in the Cadet Division, placed 8th in 1 hr 47 mins 39.23 secs. President of the Saint Lucia Cycling Association, Cyril Mangal, said: “Despite the low turnout of riders, twelve competitors this time around with eight finishing, the competition went well. I still believe much more could have come out of it in terms of support”.
According to Mangal, “We will try our best as an association to do what we can in our capacity pointing out that finance is always an issue and the authorization by the Royal Saint Lucia Police Force (RSLPF) for permission to have the various cycling events”.
Big things are coming on:
- May 14th and 28th in Vieux Fort South, Shore Circuit Criterium 600 meters. Speed race is mainly aimed at youngsters and 15 Kilometers for seniors.
- Sunday, June 4th, 98 Kilometer for seniors, Vieux Fort Circuit. The following weekend, Sunday June 11th, National Time Trials 31 laps (NTT).
- June 18th National Road Championship 103 Kilometers, 12 laps on the track (Waterfront roundabout to Union roundabout).
- Sunday, July 2nd, Castries to Vieux Fort and Back.
- Sunday, August 20th, track 10 laps, 86 Kilometers, while a similar distance is planned for Sunday, August 27th. (Waterfront roundabout to Union Roundabout).
- Sunday, September 17th, 96 Kilometers (Waterfront roundabout to Union roundabout).
- Sunday, October 8th, the final of the series of racing on the track, 8 kilometres (Waterfront roundabout to Union roundabout).
According to the SLCA President, Cyril Mangal, these are proposed dates and are subject to change, pending RSLPF approval.