Royal Caribbean to temporarily halt cruise bookings until early January

Due to capacity constraints, Royal Caribbean International has temporarily halted cruise bookings until early January.

Royal Caribbean
Royal Caribbean to halt cruise bookings until early January

Due to capacity constraints, Royal Caribbean International has temporarily halted cruise bookings until early January.

According to Vicki Freed, senior vice president of sales and trade support and service at Royal Caribbean International, “We have reached the limited capacity we have established for sailings departing through early January 2022.”

This follows the discovery of COVID-19 cases on Royal Caribbean ships.

The Odyssey of the Seas was sailing in the Caribbean with 55 cases as of Thursday. On Saturday, the Symphony of the Seas disembarked with 48 individuals who had tested positive.

Passengers said that “the ship’s personnel and medical professionals were “overwhelmed”, a claim that Royal Caribbean later denied.

According to the cruise line, the sailings have been pulled from Royal Caribbean’s website, as have done with other cruise ships earlier this year.

The capacity restriction is part of the line “strong, multilayered protocols,” including vaccine requirements, wearing masks and testing.

On Friday, Royal Caribbean authorities have also told passengers that it would make wearing a facial mask onboard compulsory through January 5.

Vice president Vicki Freed further added that, “With the recent spike in COVID-19 cases around the world, as well as the addition of omicron-new variant of coronavirus concerns.”

“We believe it wise to temporarily strengthen our onboard health protocols to mandate masks indoor at all times unless actively eating or drinking. This new update also applies to regions and venues that have been already vaccinated.”

The cruise line has ensured the passengers understand that health and safety come first.