Police shot dead terrorist after he stabbed 6 persons in New Zealand

New Zealand police on Friday shot dead an "extremist" known to authorities with a knife, Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern said after stabbing and wounding at least six people in a supermarket.

Christchurch: New Zealand police on Friday shot dead an “extremist” known to authorities with a knife, Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern said after stabbing and wounding at least six people in a supermarket.

The attacker, a Sri Lankan citizen who has been in New Zealand for ten years, was motivated by the Islamic State militant organisation and is constantly being monitored, Ardern said.

“A violent extremist has carried out a terrorist attack on innocent New Zealanders,” Ardern said during a briefing.

“He was clearly a proponent of ISIS ideology,” she said, referring to the Islamic State.

The attacker, who has not been identified, was a ‘person of interest’ for about five years, Ardern said, adding that he was killed within 60 seconds of starting his attack in the city of Auckland.

Police who followed the man thought he had gone into the New Lynn supermarket to shop, but picked up a knife from a screen and started running around like a fool, Michelle Miller told the Stuff newspaper said.

An eyewitness told the New Zealand Herald the assailant shouted, “Allahu akbar” (God is the greatest).

During the briefing, Police Commissioner Andrew Coster said that the man was acting alone and that the police were confident that there was no further threat to the public.

“We did absolutely everything possible to monitor him, and the fact that we were able to intervene so quickly, in about 60 seconds, shows how closely we watched him,” Coster said.

New Zealand has been on its guard for attacks since a white opposing gunman shot 51 people at two mosques in the city of Christchurch on 15 March 2019.

Ardern, asked if the attack on Friday could be revenge for the mosque shootings in 2019, stated it was not clear. The man only who was accountable for the violence, not a religion, she stated.

“It was hateful, it was wrong. It was carried out by an individual, not a faith,” Ardern said. “It would be wrong to lead any frustration to anyone outside of this person.”

A video published on social media reveals shoppers in the supermarket seconds after the attacker struck.

“Here’s someone with a knife … he has a knife,” a woman can hear. “Someone was stabbed.”

A guard asked people to leave the mall shortly before about 10 quick shots were fired.

Ardern’s compassionate response to the 2019 mosque shooting united her shocked country, but the violence on Friday is likely to lead to questions about why the attacker may remain free if the authorities have suspicions about him.

Ardern said the man did not commit offences that would have led to his capture.

“If he had committed an unlawful act that would have enabled him into prison, that was where he would have been. Unfortunately, he did not do that … instead, he is constantly, constantly monitored and followed,” he said. she said.

She said she was “absolutely discouraged” when she received the news of the attack.

Of the six people injured, three were in critical condition, one in serious condition and two in fair condition, the St John Ambulance Service responded.

Another witness, Amit Nand, said Newshub he saw the attacker and said he should drop the knife just before police arrived.

“This undercover policeman is coming to me … I’m going to hit him …. The policeman is like ‘come back’ and he began shooting him,” Nand told.

Gamal Fouda, imam of the Al Noor mosque, the gunman’s main target in Christchurch in 2019, said both white nationalists and Islamic State stand for hatred.

“We are heartbroken, but we have not broken again … We stand with the victims of the horrific incident,” he said.