St Kitts and Nevis: Prime Minister of St Kitts and Nevis- Dr Terrance Drew, attended the opening session of European Union-Community of Latin American and Caribbean States Summit (EU-CELAC) Summit in Brussels.
He took to Facebook and shared glimpses of the first day of the Summit. PM Drew said that the first day of the EU-CELAC Summit has concluded, and it was quite eventful as they discussed key matters of interest that impact the region and effective resolutions.
He led the delegations, which included Foreign Minister Dr Denzil Douglas and Minister of Sustainable Development et al. Dr Joyelle Clarke, at the EU-CELAC Summit.
Prime Minister Dr Terrance Drew also offered his intervention on several matters of concern on the first day of the EU-CELAC summit. While shedding light on the issues related to the small island development states, he highlighted the following topics:
- Put the focus on the current situation in Haiti
- Highlights financial and economic assistance to address the climate fallout
- Embargo on Cuba
FM Denzil Douglas engagements with diplomatic ministers
Besides this, the Foreign Minister of St Kitts and Nevis- Denzil Douglas, also attended the Summit to strengthen the bilateral ties with other nations. It is worth mentioning that Minister Douglas also engaged with several diplomatic ministers to renew the bi-regional partnership to strengthen peace and security.
He met with the Foreign Minister of Romania, Luminita Odobesçu, following the opening ceremony. The discussion of the meeting has revolved around the ways of strengthening cooperation between both countries.
Both nations expressed their commitment to deepening their bilateral cooperation. Romania also pledged to continue to offer full scholarships to students in the wider Caribbean region wishing to pursue higher education.
Denzil Douglas also thanked Romania for its generous offer.
3rd EU-CELAC in Brussels
The third edition of EU-CELAC is scheduled to be held for two days, from July 17 to July 18, 2023. Several key issues have become part of the discussion during the first days. The second day will feature a discussion on the following matters.
- Climate financing
- Strengthening the common trade agenda between the EU and CELAC
- Talks for implementing the Global Gateway investment strategy to accelerate a fair green and digital transition and address inequalities
- Highlights the ways for attaining justice, citizen security and the fight against transnational organized crime
- Focus on promoting peace and security, democracy, the rule of law, human rights, and humanitarian aid.