Guyana: The Ministry of Health has announced the members of a broad-based National COVID-19 Vaccines Task Force in preparation for the arrival and roll out of the immunization drive against the COVID-19 disease in Guyana.
The Vaccines Task Force is directed by Minister of Health Dr. Frank Anthony and includes delegates from several departments in the Ministry of Health, the National COVID-19 Task Force, other Government agencies, and the private sector.
In making the appointments, Dr. Anthony explained that a deliberate decision was taken to appoint members who possess specific skill sets, as would be required for any national immunization program in general, and, more importantly, regarding the nature of the COVID-19 pandemic in particular.
“The members are public help professionals who are familiar with immunization programs, cold storage services and medical supply chains, as well as private sector representatives who have been having trained in vaccination campaigns and who know the expectations, thereby representing a diverse blend of people who have the needed expertise and commitment to this national effort in response to COVID-19,” he said.
Minister Anthony said that the Vaccines Task Force has started drafting a training manual on administering the COVID-19 vaccine, and the procurement method for cold storage facilities and distribution has already begun.
“We want to ensure that we are prepared for the roll-out of vaccines, and so they will be looking at our preparedness and working on a vaccine preparedness and roll-out plan, then, of course, ensuring that all the sites where vaccines will be administered are ready,” said the Minister.
“They will have to ensure that all the elements regarding the use of vaccines will be in place. I would imagine that, from the Vaccines Task Force, we will have several sub-committees that would be carrying out specific tasks,” added Dr. Anthony.
The first meeting of the National COVID-19 Vaccines Task Force was held today (January 08) in the boardroom of the Georgetown Public Hospital Corporation (GPHC). The members have agreed to convene every Friday to discuss the strategic implementation plan to monitor the roll-out of a safe, effective, and efficient Vaccination Programme.
The Chair and members of the COVID-19 Vaccines Task Force are as follows:
- Minister of Health — Dr. Frank Anthony (Chair)
- Advisor to the Minister of Health — Dr. Leslie Ramsammy
- Chief Medical Officer — Dr. Narine Singh
- Director General of Regional Health Services — Dr. Vishwa Mahadeo
- Director of Primary Health Care Services — Dr. Ertenisa Hamilton (Secretary)
- Deputy Director of Regional Health Services — Dr. Veronica Griffith
- Director of Surveillance Unit — Ms. Sasha Walrond
- Director of the Food & Drug Analyst Department — Dr. Marlan Cole
- Officer in Charge of Health Communications — Ms. Shabana Shaw
- Team of Immunologists — services to be sourced externally when needed
- Representative from the Joint Services — Mr. Clifton Hicken
- Representative from the Guyana Revenue Authority – Mr. Lance Wills
- Representative from PAHO/WHO — Dr. Luis Codina
- Representative from UNICEF — Mr. Irfan Akhtar
- Cold Chain Technician — Mr. John Ramotar
- Pharmacist — Dr. Karishma Jeeboo
- Representative of the Private Health Sector — Dr. Malika Mootoo
- Representative from the Attorney General’s Office — Ms. Joann Bond
- Representative from the Ministry of Local Government — Ms. Prema Roopnarine