Grenada: As Grenada and its citizens are going to witness general elections on June 23, 2022, the Parliamentary Elections Office issued a press release to provide information on the qualifications of the Candidates for election Day.
As per the press release, the supervisor of the election takes the opportunity to remind all potential candidates for the upcoming general election of the qualifying criteria that they must meet in order to be on the ballot come election day.
The Criteria are highlighted below:
- All nominations documents are to be delivered on Nomination Day between the hours of 9 am and 12 noon. (Ist, June from 9 am to 12 noon) CAP 286 A. Sec 39 (1).
- Candidates must be nominated in writing by no less than six registered electors of the constituency for which he/she seeks election, CAP 286 A. Sec. 39 (2) (a) (Form #3).
- Candidates must consent in writing to such nominations, Sec 39 (2) (b) (Form #3).
- Candidates or someone acting on their behalf at the time of nomination deliver to the Returning Officer a statutory declaration of their qualification. CAP 286 A Sec.39 (3) (Form 4 or 5 respectively).
- Every candidate or someone on his or her behalf shall at the time of his or her nomination provide, or cause to be provided to the Returning Officer an ORIGINAL receipt from the treasury or revenue office as the case may be, evidencing payment by the candidate of the nomination deposit of five hundred dollars ($500,00) in cash, failing which the nomination of such candidate shall be deemed void. Act # 3 of 2018 Sec (5).
- All relevant nomination materials can be obtained at the respective constituency offices.
The authorities also shared an update on the election procedures:
- The general public is informed that the current list of electors as of May 17 2022 will be available for inspection from Monday, May 30 2022.
- There shall be seven day period for claims and objections regarding the list from May 30 to June 7 2022.
- The list can be found in each Parliamentary Election Constituency Office and at post offices, police stations, medical stations, and other public places.
- Requests for alterations or corrections of any error in the name, address or polling division of any registered person should be submitted to the Registration Officer of the Constituency on or before July 7 2022.
- Everyone and particularly those who registered are advised to inspect the list to ensure that his or her name is properly included. The list should also be checked to establish whether there is any name included in it that should be there.