Roseau, Dominica: Melissa Skerrit- Minister of Housing and Urban Development and Parliamentary Representative for Roseau Central, announced the Hurricane Preparedness Initiative in Dominica. Under the initiative, she will provide vital supplies that enable residents to enhance the resilience of their homes and protect their families for the upcoming 2023 hurricane season.
On his official Facebook account, Melissa Skerrit invited the people to protect their families and homes with adequate preparedness. She said that the citizens and residents of the Commonwealth of Dominica will have to contact their constituency representative for distribution information.
She said, ”DIY Hurricane Preparedness Initiative. Strengthening your homes to protect your family. Ensure that your home is adequately secured! Contact your constituency representative for distribution information.”
Melissa Skerrit said as the hurricane season approaches, it is vital for Dominicans to take proactive steps in strengthening their homes and ensuring the safety of their families.
Eligibility Criteria for the initiative are as follows:
- Be residents of Dominica
- Be committed to actively participating in the initiative.
- Be willing to comply with all relevant building codes and regulations.
- Have access to the necessary tools or human resource to install the materials themselves.
- Be willing to provide feedback or participate in monitoring and evaluation activities
Application Forms can be obtained at any office of the Ministry of Housing and Urban Development or at Constituency Offices. The initiative will run up to June 30, 2023.
Earlier, the government of Dominica also announced the tips for Hurricane Preparedness which are included:
- People will have to ensure the safety of their roof
- The citizens need to trim tress that hang over their house
- The citizens should properly clean drains around their home
- They can secure windows and doors with shutters or ply board.
The government also announced the preparedness for Children in Disaster which are as follows:
- Parents should provide information about Hazards
- Parents should make their children to involve in updating their family disaster plans.
- They have to allow their children to contribute to their communication plans and selection of meeting areas.
- Encourage children to participate in school drills.