Dominica: While many countries are battling the COVID-19 pandemic, The Commonwealth of Dominica joined the list of the countries that are free from the COVID-19 pandemic as it records zero COVID-19 active cases.
The Prime Minister of the island – Roosevelt Skerrit, shared the report of the Ministry of Health, Wellness and New Health Investment of Dominica
via social media on 7 May 2021.
According to the report-
- Total active cases in Dominica – 0
- Total COVID-19 deaths – 0
- Total people recovered from the COVID-19 mutant – 175
- Total confirmed COVID-19 cases – 175
- Total number of people who received their first dose of COVID-19 vaccine – 18864
- Total number of people who received their second dose of the COVID-19 vaccine – 13144
- Total number of contacts under investigation – 0
- Total number of people in GCOD quarantine – 31
- Total number of contacts cleared – 975
- Total number of contacts identified – 975
- Total number of people tested – 15546
- Total number of negative results – 15371
This is a massive success for the government of Dominica. The residents of Dominica are happy and appreciate the efforts of the government in controlling this pandemic.
The Commonwealth of Dominica recorded its first COVID-19 case on 22 March 2020. The first case was of a 54-year-old man who returned from the United Kingdom.
As of 1 May 2021, there was a total of 174 cases reported on the island, with only two active COVID-19 cases and zero deaths and 174 recovered cases from the virus, and now the country is free from the COVID-19 pandemic as there are no active cases in the island.
The island had received COVID-19 vaccines through the COVAX facility, which is a global effort by – PAHO- the Pan American Health Organization, CEPI- the Coalition for Epidemic Preparedness Innovations, UNICEF, Gavi,- the Vaccine Alliance Gavi and WHO- World Health Organisation.