The Ministry of Health and Wellness of Barbados announced the new protocols related to the COVID-19 pandemic and stated that the country is on the downslope of the Omicron wave of the infection. On Saturday, February 26, 2022, the Minister of Health Ian Gooding-Edghill informed about the various changed protocols for the Barbadians
While thanking Barbadians for their responsible behaviour, Health Minister Edghill said,” I thank all Barbadians for the responsible behaviours and the way in which you have socialized and conducted business since the curfew was removed.
He further informed that the country had no spike in cases, and the positivity rate has been declining and further encouraged people to follow the same criteria to control the transmission of the viral infection caused by the novel coronavirus.
Outlining the various changes in the COVID-19 protocols, Health Minister Edghill stated:
- The six feet’ physical distance in the rule would no longer apply, except where persons exercise together outdoors without wearing a mask.
- While, in all other cases, the physical distance remained at least three feet.
- Health Minister announced the resumption of hiking the restoration of pleasure craft and private chartered boats for private cruises.
- The cruises could operate with 100 per cent of the authorized capacity.
- There are no further restrictions on beach activity and parks.
- Around 80 people would play cricket, not more than.
- The public services vehicles are allowed to increase the authorized number of sitting passengers from 75 percent to 100 percent and also allowed to wear no mask.
- At the same time, there should be no standing passengers without a mask.
- While highlighting the situation of the COVID-19 pandemic, the Health Minister noted that the positivity rate now stands at 17.5 percent in Barbados, which is coming down from a high of 26 percent four weeks ago.
Moreover, the ability of the virus to spread is below one and stood at 0.72 per cent; in addition, the seven-day cumulative cases currently standing at 514 per 100,000 population, outlined health minister.
He further stated that the COVID-19 situation is now under control in Barbados. The schools have reponed and based on reports by the ministry of education that there are no additional cases reported from the schools, added Edghill.
The Health Minister also informed about the testing protocols for the visitors and the arrivals and asserted:
- The Rapid antigen tests done within one day of arrival in Barbados will be accepted.
- Nasal Swab and mid-turbine mid-terminate swabs will be permitted in addition to the nasopharyngeal and oropharyngeal swaps.
- Moreover, the transit passenger who has a negative rapid antigen or a negative PCR test will no longer be tested at the Grantley Adams international airport of Barbados.
- The self admits administered swabs shallows nasal swabs ad saliva tests will not be accepted.
- The Minister of Health further informed about the changes at the Gentle Adams International airport that includes:
- The discontinuation of the buses used at the airport to transport persons from the aircraft to gates 14 to 16.