Antigua and Barbuda: Antigua and Barbuda hosted the Ground Breaking Ceremony of the Aquatic Center Sir Novelle Richards Academy on Wednesday, December 14, 2022.
The event was attended by Prime Minister of Antigua and Barbuda Gaston Browne, Daryll S. Matthew, Minister of Education and Sports, Dean Jonas, Parliamentary Representative for St George and Dr Derek Marshall, President of Antigua and Barbuda Swimming Federation.
PM Gaston Browne also provided a brief remark in the Ground Breaking Ceremony and provided an overview of the project. Chad Knight Alexander, the Architect, also provided an overview of the project in Tomlinson’s.
The project will feature the following:
- 25 m Competition Pool: The pool will be highly luxurious to provide a magnificent look to the academy. The audience will witness mesmerizing experience with a 25 m competition pool.
- Warm Up Pool: The academy will consist of a warm-up pool.
- Spectator Stands: The academy will have spectator stands to give a fantastic look.
- Administration Building: There will be an administration building in the academy.
- Gym: There will be a gym in the academy.
- Concession Areas: The concession areas will provide an enthusiastic look to the academy.
- Changing Rooms: There will be changing rooms.
Minister of Sports of Antigua and Barbuda Daryll Matthew highlighted that discussion and planning for this project began in 2018. After several consultations with stakeholders, including the Swimming Federation, the location and specs were decided on.
The Aquatic Center, the first of its kind in Antigua and Barbuda, will have the capacity to host local, regional and international competitions.
The Prime Minister and the Minister of Education attended a groundbreaking ceremony at the site of the Sir Novelle Richards Academy, next door to the ABICE.
A large swimming pool and a water park are to be built for the use of the National Swimming Team and others. The Antigua and Barbuda Aquatic Center is being constructed with world-class amenities to facilitate the training and development of our athletes, and Antigua and Barbuda hosting regional and international swimming events.
Anglina Byron, developed a deep-seated passion for journalism. Anglina is recognized for her tenacity, strength, and unwavering commitment to delivering honest and reliable news across the Caribbean. She covers general affairs of the region.